Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design


Hello everybody, I hope everyone is having a good Friday. Lets talk about what were are doing in Gt because it seems like a while since we started a new blogpost. We are currently doing coding and we already have 2 games already made which you guys can play. Im not quite finish with my chase game and I do have a couple bugs in my platform game but I am working on them. So for my chase game you use your arrow keys to move around and you have to try to avoid the ghost to earn points. With my platformer game you use the arrow key(up) to jump into the platforms. Yours trying to make the sprite get to the purple ball to move to the next level.

User experience influenced my chase game and also my platform game. Like for example, in my chase game, my sprite has different faces every time you choose a different arrow key. I reason why I wanted that in my chase game is because I thought it was cool how it looks in Mr. Sanderl's chase game and thought it would look good on my chase game. In my platformer game I saw that most people in my class had there platform move vertically instead of horizontally so I decided to do that because it seemed pretty easy and Im all about easy/simple stuff. I know I should be doing some more difficult coding but I just don't feel that comfortable doing pretty complex coding like the sixth graders, so I just stick with the easy stuff. However on my Operation Freedom game I do want to go past my comfort zone and try something more different and complex coding.

For my chase game I really like my sprites and how the sprite moves pretty smoothly. On my platformer game I like the background of the levels. So when you reach the purple ball, the background will change from a blue and white to a red and pink background. On both of my games the background is pretty simple and both games have moving sprites. But, unlike my platformer game the chase game only has one level. Another difference between those two different games is that in my platformer game you can jump and in my chase you can't.

My best code that I made was probably in my chase game. The code is making my Sprite move across the screen without rotating when you press a different arrow keys. I'm really proud of that code because when starting to make the chase game I absolutely was clueless. I didn't know where to start so when I made my Sprite walk I pretty proud of myself for completing that. I overcame my biggest difficult bugs by asking a sixth grader because they seem to know more than me. I also overcame it by asking my friend how to fix it. But what mostly help the most was the hamburger style critique we did in our GT class. Those help because I can see what I could improve on and tips or links that could easily help me. Coding is not really my favorite thing to do but it did make me think a lot, more thinking than I do in other classes and I believe I  liked that the most. I liked that with coding you have to think and once all that thinking is over and seeing what you have completed with it, it make me feel proud of what I just did. 


8 comments:

  1. I liked how your character changed costumes.
    Your scoreboard would not give points it would only decrease points.
    Your character moved very smoothly across the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the way that you challenged yourself and made the Nano sprite change costumes. But, I suggest to make the scoreboard not to decrease points and you should make your movement a little smoother. I feel that after you fix everything, your game will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the creativity of your game its fun.
    Maybe fix how the way Nano moves across the screen smoother
    And I really like the sprites that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how the I liked how the background changed when you get to the purple ball
    Try to fix the scoreboard with this link https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1450888/
    Overall good start, with just a few edits your game will be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how the back rounds change. But when I got to the top of the game the sprite froze and I couldnt move maybe try a ''when touching block''. I like how there are different sprites great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how in the second level it changes the heart bakground
    I think your gravity engine is broken
    awesome game

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the sprites and backdrops you decided to use! CREATIVE!
    Although, I noticed that the arrow keys all work but they didn't work very smoothly.
    I also like how you made the nano sprite change it's costume!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you designed your own background, it came out really cool. In the future, I would try the movement code using change x and y as opposed to the move ten steps to make your characters move more smoothly. Overall, I like how the game works, and it is well constructed.

    ReplyDelete